Department of Health and Family Welfare Government has not permitted renewal of a number of medical seats in various medical colleges across the India
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.1149
TO BE ANSWERED ON 4TH DECEMBER
1149. SHRI C.S. PUTTA RAJU:
SHRI G. HARI:
SHRIMATI V. SATHYA BAMA:
Will the Minister of HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE be pleased to state:
(a) whether the Government has not permitted renewal of a number of medical seats in various medical colleges across the country;
(b) if so, the details thereof and the reasons therefor indicating the number of medical seats permitted against the capacity in medical colleges during each of the last three years and the current year, State/UT wise;
(c) whether the Government has rolled out any online facility for submission of proposals for setting up medical colleges and increasing medical seats which will run parallel with manual submission of applications, and if so, the details thereof;
(d) whether the Governemnt has taken note of deteriorating quality of medical education due to shortage of professors and other teaching staff in the Governemnt medical colleges across the country; and
(e) if so, the details thereof along with the corrective measures taken/proposed to be taken by the Government in this regard?
(a) & (b): Colleges found deficient in terms of faculty, accommodation, equipment, clinical material and other facilities required for proper functioning of medical college and for offering minimum standard of medical education are not given renewal permission. In 2014-15, 50, 428 MBBS seats were permitted against the total intake capacity of 54, 348. In 2015-16 the figures were 53, 088 and 57, 138. The process of granting renewal permission for the year 2016-17 is underway and the last date for granting such permissions is 15.06.2016. Details of seats not renewed are at Annexure.
(c): Yes. The online facility at present is only for submission of proposals for setting up of new Medical Colleges and increasing MBBS seats for the academic year 2016-17.
(d) & (e): MCI is a statutory body constituted under the IMC Act, 1956 to maintain the quality of medical education. The Government has taken the following steps to meet the shortage of faculty in the country:
- The ratio of teachers to students has been revised from 1:1 to 1:2 for all MD/MS disciplines and 1:1 to 1:3 in subjects of Anaesthesiology, Forensic Medicine, Radiotherapy, Medical Oncology and Surgical Oncology.
- DNB qualification has been recognized for appointment as faculty to take care of shortage of faculty.
- Enhancement of age limit for appointment/extension/re-employment against posts of teachers/dean/principal/ director in medical colleges from 65-70 years.
- All Post graduate medical qualifications from the five English Speaking countries (US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) have been recognized in India. PG and UG degrees, when both are obtained from these five countries have also been recognized.
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme for strengthening/upgradation of Government Medical colleges to increase PG seats.
Details of MBBS seats not granted renewal permission
|S.I||States/UTs||Number of MBBS seats|
Source : https://184.108.40.206/loksabhaquestions/annex/6/AU1149.pdf